Governors Award, 2007


Governor’s Historic
Preservation Awards

November 16, 2007
Rehabilitation of Lightkeepers’ Residences
Point Cabrillo Light Station

Since 1986, the Governor of the State of California has annually presented the Governor’s Historic Preservation Award to organizations, groups, and federal, state and local agencies whose contributions demonstrate outstanding commitment to excellence in historic preservation.

The Light Station near Mendocino was constructed in 1909  The property was acquired by California State Parks in 2002, which contracted with the Lightkeepers Association to manage the property for public use.  The partners undertook a major renovation of the complex.  The East Keeper’s House opened as a bed and breakfast.  The project is recognized as a prime example of a successful public-private partnership.

[signed] Arnold Schwarzenegger, Governor