In 2002 ownership of the Light Station was transferred from the California State Coastal Conservancy to California State Parks. The terms of the transfer provided $4 million dollars from State Parks to the California State Coastal Conservancy which was fully directed to restoration of the remaining buildings at the Light Station. Management of programs and restoration activities was assumed by a newly formed non-profit organization: The Point Cabrillo Lightkeepers Association (PCLK).
The money was provided over a 5 year period to the PCLK for the actual restoration work. In 2005, the 1st Assistant Lightkeeper’s House was restored. This would become a period museum, showing a lightkeeper’s home in the 1930s. The 1943 addition was removed from the rear of the residence, the lead base paint was stripped from the interior room and exterior surfaces. The roof and eves were repainted, and the asbestos materials (tiles and tile mastic) were removed.
The restoration of the Head Lightkeeper’s House was completed in 2006. It contains modern amenities and is now a 4 bedroom vacation rental home.
During this time, the three buildings behind the residences were also restored: two are comfortable vacation rental bedroom cottages and the third was converted to a public restroom.
Restoration work paused in 2007. Restoration of the 2nd Assistant Lightkeeper’s House awaited additional funding.
The restoration of the 2nd Assistant Lightkeeper’s House was completed in 2014 and the historic ornate Queen Anne style fencing around the lightkeeper’s homes was replaced. This 3 bedroom home is our fourth vacation rental property. Together with the Head Lightkeeper’s House, we now have two large houses available as vacation rentals, as well as two cottages. Click to learn more about our vacation rentals.
Work on the gardens is ongoing.