Table Bluff Lighthouse
First lit: October 31, 1892
On October 31st of 1892, the lens at Table Bluff Lighthouse was lit for the first time. The lens at Table Bluff was a fourth order fixed lens which projected a steady light a few miles south of the entrance to Humboldt Bay.
Table Bluff was among the first lighthouses to be automated – as early as 1953. At that time, the Fresnel lens was removed from the tower, and a more modern optic was installed to shine a light out to sea. The fog signal was decommissioned at the same time.
The light remained active until 1971, and the property itself went through a few different hands while the lighthouse continued to stand there. In 1987, the tower was moved from its original location at Table Bluff to Eureka’s Woodley Island Marina, where it continues to stand today.
The Bureau of Land Management demolished the remaining buildings of Table Bluff Light Station in 2012.